Water Polo Canada is excited to reveal the list of women athletes named to the 2016 Olympic Selection Qualifying Tournament Pool for water polo. This is the short list from which the 2016 Olympic Team nominations will eventually be drawn upon, once Canada’s qualification has been confirmed after the women’s Olympic Games Qualification Tournament (OQT) in Gouda, Netherlands, from March 21 to 28, 2016. These athletes are being named to the Olympic selection pool in accordance with the WPC Olympic Selection Policy.
Justin Oliveira, Lead Coach of the Canadian women’ team is looking forward to seeing the group live up to their potential at the OQT. “Our team has worked hard and endured both elation and hardship in the past few years. We have poured our heart and soul into the preparation for these Games and committed ourselves to close key gaps. We are ready to see this investment pay off and claim our ticket to Rio,” he said.
“It’s great to see such a well-balanced mix of newcomers and veterans announced to the pool,” said Martin Goulet, Water Polo Canada’s Executive Director. “This eloquently shows how we are not only looking at great outcomes for 2016 but also already have our sights to 2020 and beyond. Our entire organization and the Canadian water polo community stands behind these athletes and will be cheering them on as they strive to reach their goals over the next few months and years,” he said.
Australia and China have already qualified for the next Olympic Games, along with Brazil as host country. Hungarian women also obtained a Rio berth during the European Water Polo Championships tournament in Belgrade from January 10-23. Four (4) spots are then left up for grabs in late March, in Gouda, in order to complete the list of participants to the Olympic tournament.
2016 Olympic Selection Pool for Canada – Water Polo, Women
1. Alogbo, Krystina, Center, CAMO (QC)
2. Bekhazi, Joelle, Attacker, DDO (QC)
3. Christmas, Kyra, Attacker, Calgary Renegades (AB)
4. Colterjohn, Nicola, Goalie, Hamilton Hammer (ON)
5. Crevier, Axelle, Attacker, CAMO (QC)
6. Eggens, Carmen, Utility, Gatineau (QC)
7. Eggens, Monika, Attacker, Gatineau (QC)
8. Fournier, Shae, Attacker, DDO (QC)
9. Gaudreault, Jessica, Goalie, Capital Wave (ON)
10. Hage, Ymane, Goalie, CAMO (QC)
11. Kohli, Jacqueline, Defender, Pacific Storm (BC)
12. McKee, Kelly, Defender, Calgary Renegades (AB)
13. McKelvey, Hayley, Defender, Pacific Storm (BC)
14. Monton, Katrina, Center, DDO (QC)
15. Paul, Kindred, Defender, Calgary Renegades (AB)
16. Perrault, Dominique, Attacker, CAMO (QC)
17. Radu, Marina, Defender, CAMO (QC)
18. Robinson, Christine, Utility, DDO (QC)
19. Wright, Claire, Goalie, Scarborough Shadow (ON)
20. Wright, Emma, Attacker, Scarborough Shadow (ON)
21. Yelizarova, Hanna, Utility, CAMO (QC)
For more information on the selection protocol for water polo, click here
Interview requests, please contact:
Pascale Beaudoin, Water Polo Canada Communications, (514) 758-7472, firstname.lastname@example.org