Independent Safe Sport Officer
The Independent Safe Sport Officer is an alternate point of contact for individuals wishing to make a complaint under Water Polo Canada’s Code of Conduct and other relevant policies.
The existence of this Independent Third-Party (ITP) does not prevent individuals from contacting Water Polo Canada directly with complaints if they are comfortable with the process.
The Safe Sport Officer mandate includes, but not limited to:
- Respond to emails and phone calls received by parties about abuse, harassment, bullying, and discrimination.
- Contact complainant(s) to learn more about the situation. The Safe Sport Officer will make efforts to respond to all complaints within 24 hours after being advised of the situation.
- Conduct a preliminary review and assess against applicable policies, legal frameworks, and best practices. The results of the preliminary review are highly variable and may include:
- Referring the complainant to the police or child protection authorities.
- Referring the complainant to the club or the PSO.
- Referring the complainant to other procedures, recourses or appeals.
- Suggesting other counselling or support to the complainant.
- Equipping the complainant to deal with the situation directly.
- Supporting the complainant to come forward with a formal complaint.
- Recommending that the NSO proceed directly to an investigation and liaising with the assigned investigator as appropriate.
- Exploring informal resolution or other alternative dispute mechanisms.
- Other solutions as deemed necessary.
- Except with prior consent of the complainant, maintain confidentiality regarding the identity of the complainant(s) and the specific details of the complaint, unless otherwise required by law.
Safe Sport Officer - Lise Maclean
Lise Maclean, MBA, CHRL, is a certified human resources professional with over twenty years of experience in the public, not-for-profit, and private sectors. As an HR advisor and Harassment Officer, she has led multiple investigations in workplace settings and provided training on respectful workplaces. Ms. Maclean is currently a member of the Sport Dispute Resolution Centre of Canada Investigation Unit and the HRPA Discipline Committee.
Individuals wishing to contact Water Polo Canada Safe Sport Officer, Lise Maclean, can do so via email
. Contact with the Safe Sport Officer is confidential subject to certain legal limits. The well-being and safety of all participants of Water Polo is of the utmost importance to Water Polo Canada and the Safe Sport Officer. The Safe Sport Officer encourages the parties to try to resolve the situation at the club or provincial level when applicable, before contacting Water Polo Canada.